In previous posts, we covered admissions criteria and pros and cons of attending Caribbean medical schools and medical schools in Europe. In today's post we are going to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of going to medical school in Australia and/or New Zealand as a North American.
Australian Med Schools:
What are Australian med schools like?
Here's an overview:
- There are 21 medical schools in Australia.
- Degrees granted range from MBBS, MBChB and, now, MD. Completion of one of these makes one a “junior doctor” in Australia.
- Duration of degrees range from three to six years, depending on the school and degree.
- For our purposes, basic medical training includes an Undergraduate course:
- In any discipline and then a 4-year, graduate entry medical course.
- In medicine, with a 5 or 6 year duration.