Our Best Examples of Personal Statements for Medical School:
Writing a strong personal statement is a challenging, yet extremely important, part of your medical school application. Your work/activity section may show the reader what you have done, but the personal statement explains why. A personal statement should be deeply personal; giving the admissions committee insight into your passions and ultimate decision to pursue a career in medicine. A compelling and introspective personal statement can make the difference between getting an interview and getting a rejection letter.
So, to help you write your very best personal statement, we’ve compiled a list of our best sample personal statements. This includes examples of strong medical school personal statements as well as some proven tips from our admissions experts. At the bottom of the page, you will find some videos as well as a link to the AMCAS Calendar, to help keep your application on track.
Before you scroll down and jump into samples, watch how we create one from start to finish:
Medical School Personal Statement Examples:
1. Struggling to write an attention-grabbing introduction? Scroll through "How to Write a Compelling Introduction and Opening Sentence" for inspiration.
2. Here's a sample essay that got SIX med school acceptances. Read this narrative personal statement, that showcases the dedication and curiosity of a passionate pre-med.
Examples With Tips for Getting Started Writing Your Medical School Personal Statement:
1. Need help with brainstorming and choosing a topic? Start with "How to Write the Perfect AMCAS Personal Statement". This is an excellent resource to help you to kickstart your brainstorming process and select the best topics for your personal statement. It also includes other handy tips on personal statement formatting as well as a sample medical school personal statement.
2. Looking to create a strong narrative personal statement? Read "Former Med School Admissions Committee Member Reveals Her Top 6 Proven Strategies For Writing The Perfect AMCAS Personal Statement". This post contains 6 tips for crafting a unique narrative essay, as well as a sample narrative essay and will help you to strengthen your overall skills as a writer.
When Should You Get Started?
As a rule of thumb, submitting your AMCAS application as early as possible, meaning early June, will give you the best chance of securing an interview and acceptance. The AMCAS online portal opens in May, giving you about a month to input and submit all of the documentation required for your application. We recommend:
- Early: It can take months to hone in on your writing and create a personal statement that you are proud of. Starting a month or two before the AMCAS opens is critical to submitting your best work.
- The AMCAS calendar can be found here.
Hope you have found these resources helpful, make sure to check back or bookmark this page, as we will continually be updating it with more personal statement examples and other resources.